Saturday, March 24, 2012

Chemo #5 update


Well, all this Winnipeg spring weather is great for the soul... but probably had me washing too many windows and overseeing too much cleaning in the front porch... Which led my blood counts to be low on Tuesday when I went in....and... which led to the red flag of "STOP" to my treatment today, Wednesday.

However, not to be too concerned, we've rescheduled for this Friday, March 23rd, and Dr. is confident that a couple of days of taking it easy... aka no more washing windows... and my blood counts will be back up to snuff and able to tolerate the next treatment.

Ironically, I've felt really good for the last week and have enjoyed my social interactions greatly...Thanks to all you friends who continue to invite "chemo-food-wild-card" out for dinner and lunch and put up with my "filterless" humour.  I get life and energy from all of you.

I've felt the absence of Son#2 this month, Derek is having a blast shoveling snow and skiing in Big White, near Kelowna, BC.  Michael's stepped into deliver and pick-up for appointments which means his schedule in Architecture has lightened up as well.  We've closed down Basketball seasons for Lindsey and Jonathan, and we're so happy to see the growth that each of them made in their skills...  Doug is into back to back rehearsals for Winnipeg Singers and Canzona which means I get to attend two great concerts in the next two weeks, always a treat, although I find I have to pack tissues because I'm a little weepy these days, and great music just gets me going....

Looking ahead, (and we're always careful to say "If things go according to plan") I have an appointment with Radiation Oncologist, on Tuesday, March 27.  I imagine this will be a preliminary discussion about what Radiation  sessions will look like and when they will start.  I won't begin to guess at a schedule at this point, good information suggests that I will be looking at at least a four to six weeks of "once a day, five days a week", treatment.  

My spirits are good at this stage of the game.  I'm thankful for my kids and hubby and they're good-natured fetch and carry attitudes.  I'm also thankful for my newly re-upholstered old comfy chair, I spend a fair bit of time there!  I try to walk around the block once a day and am still appalled at how long it takes and how winded I am at a little, little hill... but the days I walk around the park and I feel good, I'm glad that I make the effort on the tough days.  My biggest dilemma is deciding what to wear on my head...not quite ready to go "in flagrante" with the bald head in public...because after this last chemo the eye lashes and eyebrows are on the run...  look only if you're brave, there's no "Look good Feel better" make-up touches here!



No comments: